SAN GIOVANNI A PORTA LATINA

ST JOHN AT THE LATIN GATE 

 

The Tempietto of St. John in Oil 

just inside the Latin Gate, as it is today.

   Just inside the Latin Gate, the Tempietto (or small chapel) of St. John in Oil, commemorating the spot where St. John the Evangelist was martyred in boiling oil, only to miraculously emerge unharmed. 

   This octagonal tempietto was built in 1509, probably by the architect Bramante.  A memorial stone inside records the beginning of the work.

 
The Tempietto of St. John in Oil,
circa 1900.

   Notable changes were made to the Tempietto in succeeding years, the first occurring during the pontificate of Pope Alexander VII. 

 

   In the year 1658, in fact, the famous architect, Borromini made a notable transformation by order of Cardinal Francesco Paolucci. 

Fresco above the altar in the Tempietto

   Later, in 1719, during the pontificate of Pope Clement XI, work was done to touch-up the interior, but no additional changes were made to the exterior.

The Latin Gate with a view

from outside of the wall.

 

 

 

Copyright � 2011 San Giovanni a Porta Latina
Last Modified: 08 June 2011